ANCIENT (OLD) EPIDAURUS, HIKING
Ancient Epidaurus, Polemarcha Monastery
Transportation will be by Bus
ancient (old) Epidaurus
Epidauria Land, between the Saronic and Argolic Gulfs, is a blessed place with natural beauty and a deep historical past.
The rocky and wooded slopes of Mount Arachneos, the enchanting beaches and the sheltered coves with fishing boats and sailboats, take the traveler on a journey through myth and history. Castles, ancient roads with bridges and watchtowers, tombs, Byzantine temples, imposing theaters, enviable monuments make up the monumental canvas of the Municipality of Epidaurus.
PATHS OF CULTURE
Visitors can enjoy a charming route from the central pier of the port of Archaia (Old) Epidaurus towards the coast of Vagionas.
The walker walks with the coastal arch on his right and gazing at the sea and on his left the village of Ancient Epidaurus in its entirety with a dominant image of the church of Agios Nikolaos, patron of the village which is built on the ruins of the Temple of the Goddess Heras.
The end of the beach is followed by a paved path about 150m long that leads to a secluded and romantic beach, “Kalamaki”. The route continues in a pine-wooded environment with rich vegetation where green and blue are in complete harmony and ends at Akrotiri “Giannouzaina” with the metal lighthouse below. To the right of the route stretches the Saronic Sea with the nearby islands: Kyra, Agistri and Aegina.
In Nea Epidavro, on a deserted beach with pine and olive trees, is the monastery of Polemarcha. The founder of the monastery was a monk named Antonios.
Antonios, who was a monk at Agnoundas monastery, wishing to isolate himself from his fellow monks, settled on the deserted beach of Polemarcha.
There he was followed by two younger monks, Nifon (later Patriarch of Constantinople) and Joseph. According to tradition, they alone built the first core of the monastery around 1400.
The monastery flourished in the following decades with the help of Patriarch Niphon, but the successive pirate raids forced the monks to leave Polemarcha and retire to the monastery of Kalami, in the hinterland of Epidauria. Since then the monastery has not functioned again.
Today, the catholicon is preserved from the complex, as well as several cells and additions. The catholicon is built in the three-aisled, vaulted basilica type with a gabled tiled roof. The aisles are divided by low arches that go on pesses and carry horseshoe-shaped arches that are reinforced at intervals by slings made of cut limestone and porolit. To the east it bears a semicircular arch, disproportionately small in relation to the size of the temple.
Meeting Point / Time
Per Person / Include Vat 24%
Trip Cost - Details
* 30€ – per person
*** For the unemployed/students -€5.00 discount
*** For children 12-17 years – €5.00 discount
Prices includes legal VAT 24%
- PIRAEUS: GR12 0172 0400 0050 4009 3094 964
- NATIONAL BANK: GR49 0110 1570 0000 1576 4615 736
- ALPHA : GR50 0140 1380 1380 0234 0005 135
- EUROBANK: GR8802600960000110200873965
Legal Beneficiary: Ilias Tsatsaronis
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
Must Have !!
What you should bring with you (minimum necessary basic equipment)
- The above program, the routes and the duration of the activities are subject to change due to the ability of the group, the physical condition of the participants and the weather conditions that will prevail in the area. ADVENTURE CLUB HELLAS reserves the right to modify or cancel any outdoor activity due to bad weather or technical difficulties.
- The activity is also suitable for beginners as long as they have a good standard physical condition
In case of cancellation of participation and if an advance payment or the full price has been paid, the following applies:
- One-day with travel by the participant's own means, cancellation up to 72 hours before the start of the event, full refund. After 72 hours, no refunds will be made.
- For one-day coach trips up to 7 days before the start of the event, full refund. After the 7 days, no refunds will be made.
- For the two-day, three-day, multi-day excursions by bus or with the same means of transport, with accommodation in a shelter, hotel, guesthouse, camping (as provided for each event) up to 21 days before the start of the event, full refund.
- Up to 10 days before the start of the event, 50% refund of the total cost.
- In any other case of cancellation less than 10 days before the event, no refund will be made
Stay in Touch
We will send you at most one or two short email a month. And we will NEVER EVER pass your info to any other outfit, no matter how worthy.
G.E.MI. (GENERAL COMMERCIAL REGISTRY): 159388603000